5 Essential Roofing Maintenance Tasks to Carry Out on a Regular Basis
The roof is the most important component of any structure as it protects the building from the harsh elements, and if you are new to home ownership, there are certain things that you need to do to ensure that your roof remains in good order. Here are just some of the important aspects of roof maintenance that you should consider.
- Guttering – Cleaning out the guttering is a necessary maintenance task that should be carried out every couple of months or sooner if you have overhanging tree branches. There are companies that specialise in cleaning gutters in Perth and they can easily be contacted through a Google search. The vertical downpipes will also need flushing out to prevent a blockage, which can easily happen if you don’t clean out your guttering on a regular basis.
- Replacing Missing or Broken Roof Tiles – Roof shingles are often broken or dislodged in high winds and if this should happen and there is a heavy period of rainfall, it could seriously damage the internal roof structure. It isn’t always visible from the ground, so every now and then you should ask your local roofing company to carry out a thorough roof inspection. The contractor should be able to locate matching tiles and replace them within a very short time, thus preventing any rain from entering the roof structure.
- Fascia & Soffit Boards – These are usually made from timber and they protect the lower roof line and the underside of the eaves, and should a section come loose, it will need to be reattached. You could replace the fascia and soffit boards with PVC sections, which do not need maintenance, and with attractive colours, you can add some kerb appeal to your roof.
- Power Wash the Roof – Over time, the roof tiles will become dirty and a high-pressure water cleaner will restore the roof to its original state, removing built-up moss and ground-in dirt and grime. There are local firms that specialise in all rooftop services and they can power wash your roof in a couple of hours, leaving the roof looking like new. Once the roof has been power washed, you can ask the company to spray on a silicone-based sealant and that will prolong the life of your roof, and its flexibility means it can move as the roof does in extreme temperatures, leaving the seal intact.
- Inspecting the Flashing – The flashing might be made from lead, copper or even stainless-steel and it protects the joints where different materials come together. If the flashing should get damaged, this will result in a leaking roof and the sooner it is repaired, the better.
The roof of your home will always protect you, providing that you carry out regular roof inspections and promptly repair any minor issues before they become major. If you can’t carry out the roof inspections, there are specialist firms that can make sure that your roof is in a good condition, and for the little it costs, it is well worth the investment to ensure that your home is always well protected.